Issues with blood pressure is a serious problem nowadays. Actually, wherever we go around the world, high blood pressure is a condition that almost everyone experiences.
According to the World Health Organization, the approximate number of deaths caused by hypertension or high blood pressure is around 7.5 million; and that statistics is applicable worldwide. The reason why this hypertensive conditions causes that much number of death is because complications with high blood pressure is directly affecting the blood and the heart. Thus, high blood pressure is highly associated with stroke and certain heart problems like heart diseases.
What is High Blood Pressure
High blood pressure occurs when the flow of blood starts to have an effect on the artery walls, causing the pressure.
Some cases of high blood pressure do not necessarily provide specific and easy to see symptoms. Though symptoms are not always present in all hypertensive patients, the condition is still affecting the heart and blood vessels; hence, it is important to get regular check-ups for the sake of getting an earlier diagnosis to avoid further complications which may lead to heart disease.
High Blood Pressure Symptoms
Though previously mentioned that some hypertensive people do not encounter symptoms, there are still cases of hypertension that are associated with common high blood pressure symptoms; and these are:
- Most of the time, people with high blood pressure experience frequent headaches.
- There are some patients who feel minor chest pains and palpitations.
- It is also possible to come across often minor respiratory issues such as shortness of breath and a few difficulties in breathing.
- Some hypertensive patients will encounter unusual cases of nosebleed.
However, the following symptoms are more likely to happen when the high blood pressure is already at its severe stage. But there are still people who experience them once in a while, specifically the headaches.
Causes of High Blood Pressure
There are two known types of hypertension and through these types, the causes can be categorized at the same time.
Primary hypertension is the type of high blood pressure that occurs due to unidentifiable causes. As time passes by, primary hypertension is prone to getting more dangerous and harder to control.
This is a type of high blood pressure that results from another health condition. Most of the time, secondary hypertension is what hypertensive people commonly encounter. Some of the health conditions that cause the development of secondary hypertension are:
- Issues with the kidney
- Thyroid problems
- Tumors in the adrenal gland
- A congenital disease that affects the blood vessels
- There are some medications that provide side effects such as but not limited to: birth control pills, decongestants, and a lot of over-the-counter pain relievers are said to cause most secondary hypertension.
- Overuse of illegal drugs like amphetamine, methamphetamine, and cocaine.
Ways of Monitoring Blood Pressure
Since cases of hypertension begin to increase, people have been training on how they can monitor their blood pressure. This is also important since one can encounter high blood pressure wherever he is; thus the moment they feel a symptom related to high blood pressure, they can check if it is indeed a case of hypertension.
The process of determining a person’s blood pressure is by measuring the maximum pressure from the quantity of blood pumped by the heart and the amount of pressure on the artery walls’ resistance to the flow of blood. These are important factors in blood pressure measurement and they are called systolic pressure and diastolic pressure respectively.
Monitoring blood pressure has also been influenced by technology. Before, the only way to monitor blood pressure is by using manual medical instruments like sphygmomanometer and stethoscope.
Manual blood pressure monitoring
The manual monitoring of blood pressure is still used today; because according to most medical professionals this method is a lot more reliable and accurate.
The basic instruments that are essential for the manual procedure are the sphygmomanometer and a stethoscope. So, how do they work in monitoring blood pressure?
- Sphygmomanometer: Sphygmomanometers are specifically designed for the sole purpose of measuring a person’s blood pressure. It consists of parts like the inflatable rubber cuff which is placed on the patient’s arm that is connected to the bulb (and valve) and the meter that measures the systolic and diastolic pressure.
- Stethoscope: The stethoscope is used to identify the sound of the pulse. It is important to use it together with sphygmomanometer because it serves as the detector of the first and second pulse heard that will indicate the blood pressure level.
Manual blood pressure monitoring is done by the following:
- First, the patient is asked to sit properly on a chair while relaxing.
- Second, the cuff of the sphygmomanometer is then placed around the upper part of the arm; just an inch over the antecubital fossa. Then, place the diaphragm inside the cuff, be sure to locate it to the pulse around that area.
- Third, the bulb is pumped to fill the cuff with air. Continue pumping the bulb until necessary.
- Fourth, use the valve to slowly loosen the air in the cuff; once you hear the first sound of the pulse, start taking note of the meter since that will be the systolic pressure of the patient. In order to identify the diastolic pressure, pay close attention to the disappearing sound of the pulse and check the meter at the same time.
Blood pressure monitor
Since some professionals thought of the manual method to be a lot of work, they decided to develop a more high-tech form of the sphygmomanometer and stethoscope combination – the blood pressure monitor.
Top 5 Best Blood Pressure Monitors
In this modern age, people prefer using blood pressure monitors at home. Also, there are varieties of these monitors that are easily accessible since some of them are designed to be portable so they can be carried anywhere; even the office.
In finding the perfect blood pressure monitor, it is important to look for a few qualities of your supposed personal monitor.
- Try looking for a blood pressure monitor with a cuff that has a great fit.
- It is important to consider how accurate the monitor will be.
- The display of the blood pressure monitor is clear and easy to read.
Out of all those qualities, there were a total of 5 blood pressure monitors that are said to fit all of them.
Here are the top 5 best blood pressure monitors, according to reviews.
1. Omron 10 Series BP786
When talking about blood pressure monitors, one of the top brands would probably be Omron. This reputation does not fail the brand since its Omron 10 Series BP786 have been considered as one of the best BP monitors, and this is all according to people who have actually tried it.
This BP monitor is proven to be one of the best. It was designed with perfectly fitting cuffs and it can be as accurate as needed. It is also packed with special features that you can never find from other units of blood pressure monitor.
2. Withings Wireless BP Monitor
Just the word “wireless” already makes this blood pressure monitor look amazing. This monitor is designed for great portability since it is only made of a simple cuff. Yes, this BP monitor is a cuff that you can connect to your devices via Bluetooth. Or you can actually connect it to your device by using a micro-USB cable. To finally keep the monitor running, you will be required to download the Withings app on your device. Don’t worry, it’s free (the app anyway).
3. LifeSource BP Monitor
This BP monitor is suitable for people who have problems with the cuff size. Thanks to its ability to accommodate patients with upper arms that are around 23.5 inches at maximum.
4. LotFancy BP Monitor
A very affordable blood pressure monitor, the LotFancy Blood Pressure Monitor is loved by people who are on a tight budget. Also, it is good for daily use; especially if you’re just planning to regularly check your blood pressure at times.
5. Omron BP652N 7 Series
Another model from the Omron brand, this version of Omron BP monitor is said to have a reasonable price plus it is a wrist monitor where you’ll place the cuff on your wrists instead of the usual place on the arm. It is also said to be as accurate as possible and it can store a hundred amounts of BP reading.