Have you considered a collapsible foam roller? There are many kinds of foam rollers on the market to pick from. This includes various designs, sizes, and colors. If you’re looking for a travel-friendly option then a collapsible unit is a good one.
Collapsible foam rollers can be broken down for different functions like gym workouts, summer vacations, and winter storage. You can find several of these units on the market so it’s easier to pick one that best suits your needs.
As always there are various factors to consider when picking a foam roller. The same goes for a portable foam roller.
This explains why items like portable foam rollers are spiking in popularity. This allows people to take their units with them when they travel for business, vacation, or local gym. There are so many issues to consider when picking a product. They include ones like design, durability, and quality. These are all key features to provide the best treatment for sore muscles.
What Is a Portable Foam Roller?
When picking a foam roller there are various options to select from. These are tubular units covered with soft foam, yoga mats, etc. The main function of foam rollers is as a self-massage. This helps to provide various benefits, including muscle knots, muscle tension, and other issues.
One of the options you have is the unit’s dimensions including the tube’s diameter and length. These are both key features because they affect the types of exercises that are ideal for the unit.
There are also different styles of tubes including full foam rollers and “half” foam rollers. The half units are shaped like a half-circle. They’re ideal for certain exercises like one-leg balancing and others. When looking for stretches/exercises to do it’s important to research which option is the best one for you.
There are other differences like foam, durability, and colors. These are all factors that can affect the unit you end up with. It’s critical to think about the various possible uses of the foam roller so you can choose wisely.
Besides the full-size units, there are also portable/collapsible units. These are ideal for travel whether you’re going to the gym, a weekend getaway, or moving to a new home. The unit breaks down for easy portability. This provides lots of value if you travel a lot or prefer gym workouts.
Like other portable equipment, there are some pluses of non-portable foam rollers. For example, let’s say you do 100% of your workouts at home, it’s not practical to pick a collapsible foam roller.
The opposite is true if you do workouts at different locations, including travel for business or vacation. In those situations, it’s more practical to pick a collapsible unit since it’s easier to move from place to place.
Collapsible Foam Roller: Pros and Cons
You can often save money on collapsible rollers because the portability makes the unit smaller. When there’s less material used to make the product that results in lower costs. That might be a major issue if you’re on a shoestring budget.
Both these factors are generally lower when picking collapsible units since they’re made to be broken down. You should still check about how easy or difficult it is to break down a particular unit. This can help to determine whether or not it’s a good option for you.
You can find portable foam rollers that are under 2 pounds. This makes it easy to carry in your handbag or luggage. Always check the weight of the unit so you’ll know how much you’ll have lug around when traveling with the foam roller.
3. Easy assembly
This isn’t always a feature of portable rollers but it often is. The reason is it’s a PVC pipe that can be broken down to travel with.
1. Less sturdy
When gym equipment and other types are portable it generally means they’re less sturdy. That’s because they’re designed to roll/fold up after use. When there are more movable parts this means the roller is more likely to break down faster. After that happens you’ll likely have to replace the unit sooner rather than later. That can be a hassle in terms of the cost and hassle.
Another issue that’s usually related to portable gym equipment is they tend to have fewer perks. The main reason is the focus is on the portable function, which usually means there were fewer bells and whistles.
In many cases, this usually involves small issues. For example, the foam’s texture might be bumpy or that it’s only available in one color.
Key Features of Collapsible Foam Rollers
- Functionality: It’s not enough for the foam roller to be portable. You should also research the functionality of the unit. Make sure it works well and can be used for several stretches/exercises. This will provide more value and make it easier to use the equipment.
- Price: Portable foam rollers are generally cheaper than full-sized units. However, you’ll also be paying more for the portability so the savings might be balanced out. Make sure to compare different units to find the best deal. You should also consider the value you get.
- Dimensions: Make sure to check the dimensions of the foam roller when it’s assembled and disassembled. Both these figures are important, so you’ll know how much space the unit takes up whether you’re doing stretches/exercises or transporting it.
- Weight: Make sure to check the overall weight of the foam roller. It is particularly critical if you’ll be carrying it around all day. A few extra pounds can make a big difference and tire you out before you even get to the gym. That’s a situation you’ll want to avoid.
- Assembly: This should be relatively easy since you’ll want to pack up the item when you’re done with your session and head back to home, work, hotel, etc. Many units include easy assembly so it’s a major feature to look for to get the best results when using a collapsible foam roller.